Friday, January 29, 2010

Phantosmia

No, it's not a new Disney movie.

It's the name for that damn smell in my nose. Phantom smell. AKA parosmia. My brain is creating a smell and I also have a reduced sense of smell (hyposmia). (Although thank god I am still greeted by a wonderful aroma as I walk into a Peet's Coffee.)

Read this great article by Jane Andrews and it tells my story–although hers has been going on longer than mine. I could only wish that my smell might sometime change to be pleasant, but not at the risk of it smelling worse than it does now.

"A Pungent Life: The Smells in My Head" from the New York Times.

Also, a fairly easy-to-read medical journal article by Dr. Donald Leopold:

Distortion of Olfactory Perception: Diagnosis and Treatment

I had an MRI today and the only thing it showed was an "assymetry to the olfactory nerve." (OK, the doc didn't specifically say it, but I assume they also found a brain, not straw.)

More tests coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!