Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Big Three-Oh!

Well, tonight's the night. The big 30th High School Reunion. I'm as ready as I'll ever be. I guess.

I've actually been feeling some anxiety about it in the past few days. I have no idea what to expect. I really have no expectations. At the last two reunions, while a few of my "group" were there, many of them have never shown up for these things. So if they do show up tonight, it will have been nearly 3o years since I've seen them. These are folks I've had no contact with in three decades, yet they were the main players in my life (my drama) of my teen years.

I feel confident in who I am. I feel independent of those years, even though formed by them. I am who I am.

Now back to that weighty issue.

I've been very good about playing tennis almost every day for the past two weeks. I found myself discouraged last week when I actually gained a couple pounds, yet continued to eat cleanly and play every day (I'm up to an hour against the backboard now).

But I realized that two things really contributed to that gain (or lack of loss). One (TMI alert) was the fact that my period started. Apparently I do gain weight for a whole week. And two, while I ate "cleanly" I did eat out a lot since it was my "Stay at home vacation" (more on that in another blog). I had lunch out three different times during the week, and we were traveling on the weekend. A chocolate coconut bliss shake here (see this Blog about Guayaki Yerba Mate Bar in Sebastopol) and a raw vegan brownie sundae (at Seed vegan restaurant in Santa Rosa) there really adds up. Yes, it was all vegan. And yes, I am not the skinny pale vegan most carnivores like to refer to in defending their own diets. It is a great time to be a vegan these days, but not for one who easily gains weight!

So late this week the scale did start to tip downward, as I had hoped it would, once the monthly bloat went away. And today I can officially say I have lost 10 pounds since the start of this endeavor. I am at 152.0 pounds! Yeah! Yes, I had hoped to lose 20, but I knew that was probably unrealistic without attending some sort of boot camp. I think the 10 I did lose is a "solid" ten and a healthy one. Yes, I'd like to see 10 more go away and I will keep working on it. The tennis is fun and I've been able to get the backboard court if I get there very early. I honestly don't think I'd have as good a workout if I played a real game with a real person!

OK, off to finish packing and see my cohorts of 30+ years ago.

I'm sure we will all look just fabulous!

And being a year younger than all my schoolmates is finally paying off....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!